Madison is now wearing glasses
and boy is she cute! :-)
This is a new opinion, i do have to admit. The shock that Madison has to deal with glasses at two was a lot. I cried. I think I cry more these days than I should admit. We just feel that Madison has been been though a lot and has had to see more specialist in her short lived 2 years than most kids. Now, believe me -- we know and understand that we are so lucky, that it is just glasses at this point. This is not life or death and she still has a wonderful healthy brain and body. We are so thankful for that, but it's still hard to know that there is a problem that you have no control over and can't fix.
So... In January we started noticing her right eye looking a little weak. It was turning in, but it was happening so fast and going back to normal that by the time you saw it, it was gone. Then it started happening more and staying that way more often. We went to the pediatrician, who referred us right away. I asked around people I knew and 3 people came back with Dr. Beauchamp's name in Grapevine, so we went there within a week and a half. He was old and old school and great with Madison. I do have to say that it is amazing what people can know and do with a 2 year old. The doctor had Jason hold Madison in the eye exam chair and he had me look over his shoulder while he did the test so I could see how her eye was reacting / not reacting to certain tests. Amazing. Her right eye was stuck and was not moving in alignment with her left eye. I would have to have to seen this to believe this. He told us right off the bat that the information was a lot to absorb and it will be a long road with lots of homework.
He started with the "fix." Two eye surgeries, glasses, and patching. Umm....okay.... What?
Then he went into the diagnosis:
Accommodative Estropia (strabismus) - Misalignment of the eyes. Basically this right eye turns in to focus where the left one stays straight ahead. Glasses for this.
Amblyopia - a vision problem in children where vision is decreased and sends blurry images to the brain. Patching for this
Duane Syndrome - wiring of the eye muscles gets jumbled, and movement of the eye is limited in certain directions. So Madison's right eye can not reach the outside corner of the right side. She has just been turning her head to adjust for that vision, so she doesn't know she's even missing it. Surgery for this. There are lots of causes to Duane Syndrome, but after this doctor's questioning and for personal reasons, I do believe that the use of forceps during Madison's delivery could have played a big role here. Maybe not, not confirmed, that is a mom diagnosis.
So -- here we are. We picked up her eye glasses prescription a week later and have been having a glasses party at our house every night because in case you didn't know -- GLASSES ARE COOL!
Mom and Madison rock our glasses every day.
Dad's glasses are especially cool at night after work.
Chica the chicken wears hers all day just waiting for Madison to come home and play.
Then we asked others that Madison knew to play dress up and join the party via skype of pictures on the fridge. Here are some of the good sports in real glasses:
and some just pretending and joining in on all the fun:
Madison put her glasses on and has not wanted to take them off. She's been amazing. They must be working considering she wont even keep a bow in her hair - to keep these on all day every day has really been impressive. I'm over the initial shock and fear and tears and now we are just moving on to life as normal, just wearing glasses as we go!







Yes, glasses are cool...and cute, too!
ReplyDeleteKatie, I didn't know this! I am so proud of you for getting to the bottom of it and that Madison is keeping her glasses on! When will she have surgery? You know, Matt had amblyopia and strabismus and had two eye surgeries when he was little.
ReplyDelete